VEGAN CURRY WITH TOFU & VEGETABLES
TOFU, OR NOT TOFU
This vegan curry is one of my favourite meals to make – and I make it frequently! It’s super easy to cook, and is absolutely delicious – the kick of spice in this curry is exactly the right amount (in my humble opinion.)
I actually never made this recipe with the intent of taking pictures and posting it on the blog. There was no particular reason as to why, it just never really crossed my mind. Earlier, I randomly came across these photos on my laptop and decided what the hell. It’s a recipe that deserves posting! (I had taken the photos to send to my curry-loving friend to make them jealous because I’m a horrible person.)
Now, I use green curry paste for this recipe, but you’ll notice it definitely isn’t green. And that’s okay! Because we add extra ingredients like soy sauce & brown sugar for flavour, it ain’t gonna stay green. (Seriously, if you see a recipe for green curry that uses soy sauce, they definitely didn’t add it until after they took photos – so don’t despair!)
I also used tofu in this recipe when these pictures were taken, but we often make it without when we’re feeling a little lazier – the vegetables are tasty enough on their own! So, if you’re not a big tofu fan, feel free to skip it entirely. Or, substitute it with sliced chicken breast, if you’re not here for the “vegan” part of this recipe.
SO, YOU'LL NEED
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 400g firm tofu, cut into small strips
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp green curry paste
- 20 snow peas, halved
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & sliced
- 400g baby corn spears, halved lengthwise & widthwise
- 200g button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 3 tsp lime juice
- rice (to serve)
HERE'S WHAT YOU DO
- Add one tablespoon of oil to a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and fry, stirring occasionally, until brown. Let drain on a paper towel lined plate and keep to the side.
- Add two tablespoons of oil to the pan, and add the onion. Fry until translucent, making sure not to let it go brown. Add the minced garlic and fry for a further minute or two.
- Add the curry paste and the last tablespoon of oil. Fry the paste for approximately two minutes – it will become fragrant.
- Add all the vegetables and fry for 5 minutes. Pour in the vegetable stock & coconut milk, and reduce heat to medium. Simmer until all the vegetables are fully cooked.
- Add in the tofu, soy sauce, brown sugar, & lime juice. Combine well.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice.