VEGAN BANANA BREAD WITH WALNUTS
YOU’LL GO BANANAS FOR IT
…Okay, I know that was lame. But sometimes, a girl’s just gotta make a pun that makes everybody cringe and roll their eyes. What you won’t cringe about though, is this delicious banana bread recipe I’ve made!
Banana bread is one of my favourite breads. Stopping by a cafe on the way to work to grab a dirty chai latte and a slice of banana bread, yum – day made. But, I decided it was time to start making my own. Buying it regularly adds up, and I wanted to try a healthier alternative that still tastes as good as if it was packed full of calories. I also wanted to eliminate any dairy usage in my recipe. My friend Shannon is also an avid banana bread lover, but as a vegan, there isn’t many out there that she can eat. So, I decided to swap out the dairy for coconut oil, which gave the bread a lovely, moist (sorry) texture.
Coconut oil can be a little bit expensive, but you only need 1/4 cup for this recipe, and it has so many other uses it won’t go to waste. The one I get is similar to (boop! affiliate link) this one. Though honestly, if it’s something you use frequently, I’d grab a big ol’ jar instead.
One of the things I love about this recipe for vegan banana bread is that most of the ingredients are readily available and are things that you’ll usually have in your pantry already; and if you don’t have walnuts, you can replace them with something else of your fancy if you really, really don’t feel like leaving your house. Which, to be honest, is often how I feel.
This recipe is enough for 8 generous slices of the vegan banana bread. You can replace the walnuts with whatever you like – chocolate chips, oats, etc… I haven’t tried it with either (yet) but I’m sure it would be just as delicious, and I intend to try it soon. I love that about breads; it’s so easy to change up the flavour and add/remove ingredients and still have it taste fantastic.
SO, YOU’LL NEED
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 & 1/2 cups plain flour
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 – 1 sliced banana (for top of bread)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius, and grease your loaf pan.
- In a medium sized bowl, mash bananas until there are no big lumps. Add brown sugar and melted coconut oil, then combine.
- In another bowl, sift the flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, sea salt, baking soda, and baking powder and then fold these into the mashed banana mixture until just combined. Then add your chopped walnuts and mix.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and top with sliced banana (optional).
- Bake for approx half an hour, or when a skewer/tooth pick comes out clean.
- Serve warm, or store in an air tight container. Enjoy!