THE MOST DELICIOUS EGGNOG
Can you believe it’s already the 1st of December? The christmas countdown has officially begun, and I’m so excited by it. I’m leaving Australia on the 15th to spend a month in Canada, and I can’t wait to experience another white christmas! As much as I love Australia, Christmas just never really feels how it should; what we see in the movies, or on those addictive vlogmas videos we watch on YouTube. There’s no mulled wine, it’s way too hot for cocoa, and we can’t dress up in oversized coats and cute scarves and walk gallantly through the snow.
However, there is one recipe that is perfect for christmas in Australia: eggnog! It’s cold, creamy, and delicious – and it always makes me feel so happy and festive! Honestly, it’s my absolute favourite beverage to make, drink & share during the holiday season. So, of course, I knew I had to share it with you all – and what better way than to kick off an abundance of christmas blog posts than with the most delicious eggnog recipe?
As always, if you try this recipe please leave a comment letting me know what you think – I love getting your opinions and feedback!
This makes approximately 4 full glasses of eggnog – you can adjust the amount of rum to suit your taste, but I found that this was the perfect amount to give it a kick without being overwhelming.
- 1 litre full cream milk
- 1 cup (250ml) thickened cream
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup dark rum
You can use any dark rum you like, but I used & recommend Captain Morgan Jamaica Black Rum – it’s the perfect choice for making eggnog. *Not #spon, I just love me some rum.
You can also switch up the ratio for the milk & cream, depending on how you like your eggnog – but I found this combination is what worked best for me and my taste.
- In a large saucepan, combine milk, cream, cinnamon sticks, vanilla bean paste and nutmeg over a medium heat. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and allow to steep while you complete the next step.
- Seperate your eggs if you have not already. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until combined and at the ribbon stage – this will be approximately 4 minutes with a hand whisk (though it took me longer as my arms kept getting sore. I know – I’m pathetic.)
- Whisk the milk mixture into the egg yolks & sugar, and continue to mix until fully combined and smooth. Add dark rum, and stir.
- Beat egg whites in a medium bowl until soft peaks form. Fold into eggnog until combined.
- Serve with a sprinkling of ground nutmeg on top.
You can keep this refrigerated for up to 3 days – though it’s so good, I doubt it will last that long!
Let me know if you have any christmas recipe requests! I’m always looking for new things to try and make.
What’s your favourite festive drink?